1/20/14

Bringing things back up to speed..

Its been way too long since my last post on here... Sorry for the procrastination/laziness on my part. Recently I have gained some great insight on the importance of posting and staying active on my blog.  Along with everything else in our world today, coaching has been greatly affected by the social media explosion, and as coaches we must use this technology to our advantage.  Sharing ideas is what this business is all about, therefore the more I contemplated my procrastination of this page, the more I felt I was cheating the game.  I am constantly looking up other resources for information, so why not share mine while I'm at it... So, here we go..QB Advantage 2014 is under way. 

Just wanted to take a quick second and bring everyone up to speed on my coaching experiences the past couple years.  The 2013 season was my fourth year as QB coach at Raceland High School in Raceland, KY.  2013 was very good to us as we finished 11-3, making it to the Kentucky Class A State Semi-Finals, along with being Regional and District champions.  This past season, our quarterback, a 3 year starter, completed his career by becoming the schools all-time leader in wins, and also his 3rd consecutive season of throwing for over 1,200 yards, 15+ TDs, and completing over  60% of his passes.  Our offense at Raceland usually displays about a 65/35 Run/Pass ratio.  However, depending on the game and the situation, we feel we have the ability to manipulate that ratio either way in order to help us win.  2013 also marked my 10th year playing or coaching in the Tony Franklin System.  Although we have drifted away from some of the original Tony-isms of the offense, we still continue to focus our basic package around the same concepts Tony Franklin has been using since his days at the University of Kentucky.  If I had to put a label on it, I would call us a "spread, run-first, multiple formation offense" with the ability to play fast and put the ball in the air as much as needed throughout any given game.  But make no mistake about it, we want to RUN THE FOOTBALL and have been very successful in that category over the past several years. 

Ok so now its 2014 and the I'm starting to understand more and more that the off-season is where you become a better coach.  I've only been at this for 4 years so saying that I am "learning more everyday" is an understatement. I'm really looking forward to this off-season, to read and study, watch and learn, and to write and post about this game and the quarterback position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment