1/20/14

Keeping It Simple


My recent goal has been to work on simplifying our offense into fewer concepts while increasing efficiency, communication, and tempo.  The more I watch and breakdown teams such as Texas Tech, Baylor, Auburn, ect.. I see that they are keeping this game very simple, while dressing it up to look more complex than what it actually is.  I have fully bought in to this idea.  I don' think you need 15 different run plays, 20 pass concepts, and 30 formations to put my players in a position to be successful.  I would much rather become really good at a few concepts, play faster than anyone else on our schedule, and allow my athletes to think less-play more.  Here is a sample of the concepts I believe  can be extremely successful. At Raceland, our OC does a great job of keeping things simple for our players and over the last several years we have been able to expand on our offensive package with great success.  But starting out, I say put in place the concepts you truly believe in, practice them in game-type situations, mix up tempos, and roll with it.

Run Game - Power Read, Joker, Speed Option.
Pass Game - Quick Game; 60 (Speed Outs), 67 (Slants), 68 (Y Stick), 66 (Hitches).
                     90s Game ; Shallows, Mesh, Smash, Verticals, Y-Cross, and Y-Sail.
Screen Game - Fast, Slow, Jailbreaks.
Sprint Out - Rodeo/Lasso, F-Draw.
Play Action - Two best run plays and two best  pass plays, combine for P.A.

There you have it..  By taking these concepts and running them using a variety of formations (10-15 formations at the most) and a variety of motions (4 or 5 motion looks), I feel it gives my players the best chance to fully understand the offense and play faster than the other teams on our schedule.  With that being said, there will always be slight changes, tags, and looks to implement in order to build on this package. Communication is key, and finding the best way for your players to understand on-field communication should never be over-looked.  I want to keep that simple as well, no game of charades and a poster board to convey my plays.  Key words, basic hand signals, and lets go compete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment